Labeling

Dylann Roof is mentally ill.

Those who claim that only people of color are labeled "thugs" don't seem to realize that the type of situations for which this label is given differs from what happened in South Carolina.

For example, when Aaron Alexis shot up the Navy Yard, I don't recall him being slapped with the "thug" label — I recall "mental illness" being thrown around. To me, that makes sense.

When Miriam Carey crashed her car into a White House checkpoint then sped down Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington, D.C., I don't recall her being labeled a "thug." Again, mental illness was the topic of discussion surrounding what happened.

Both these Alexis and Carey were people of color.

I've heard the term "thug" used in reference to protests and riots (committed by a small number of individuals in comparison to the number of peaceful protestors whose actions were unfortunately not publicized as much as those who looted and rioted) in Ferguson and Baltimore.

Protest and riots are not what occurred in the cases involving Dylann Roof, Aaron Alexis and Miriam Carey. These three individuals are/were mentally ill.

I've heard people saying that if a person of color had committed the same crime Dylann Roof committed, he or she would have been labeled a "thug." However, I don't think that would be the case. But hey, that's just my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment